Friday, March 26, 2010

Time

Time means something different for everyone, but there are two basic camps when it comes to time.

The first camp thinks time is like a big project for school or work. You want it correct, punctual and early seems like a bonus. People who are in this camp can vary how important it is to be punctual. I was a more moderate person in this camp. I preferred the 5-10 minutes early. People used to joke that if I arrived exactly on time I was 10 minutes late. My grandfather however was a bit of an extremist in the punctual camp. We all decided as a family that everyone needed to tell him that things started an hour later than they really did. He was a show up a couple of hours early kinda guy.


The second camp when it comes to time are the people who see time as a suggestion or guideline. These are the people who will show up but you just never know when. They don't rush in with reason for the tardiness, they just stroll in and seem pleased that they made it to the location within what they consider a reasonable time frame.


My life has recently forced me out of the punctual camp and on the fringes of the tardy folks. When my Mom called recently to make sure I was alright because I was not at the restaurant on time I had to assure her all was fine. That is when I realized that because of Maddy time has become a guideline not a deadline for me.


While pondering this I realized what Salvador Dali was portraying in this picture.


He obviously had a good friend that had a teenage girl. I don't think the girl would even have to be special needs. The picture depicts when parents, as well as time, finally gave up the fight, wilted and surrendered to the girl. I am not sure if it depicts defeat or survival by surrendering their timeframe to teen girl time. However, I am pretty sure it is a statement of survival!

4 comments:

  1. I am much more relaxed if I arrive everyplace on time or a few minutes early, I used to torture myself by being a last-second person, but it was too stressful.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with secretia, but I am sure you are right about teen girls making punctuality a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I'll need to wean you back to the punctual side of life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a member of the third camp. Time doesn't really exist because it is all relative. Time is something we invent to justify boxing ourselves in further.
    But you also have to know, Albert Einstein is my hero lol

    ReplyDelete