Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You think you had a bad day?

Yesterday I started the day with some worries and then I got caught up in what I call an "I" day. I had to make cookies in the morning, I had to take Maddy to the eye doctor. Then I had to sit in traffic because the appointment took 3 freaking hours. When I got home I had to finishing cleaning then kitchen, then I went out to pick up some dinner because I was not cooking. Then I had sit in traffic again both ways because I had to go to the airport and get my Dad and his girlfriend.

Honestly it was not a bad day, but just one of those days where you focus and all that has to be done and you don't enjoy anything you are doing. Boy did my priorities get re-aligned when I picked up my Dad and Marie at the airport.

They had planned a wonderful two week vacation in Costa Rica. My Dad had been earlier this year and loved it. He and Marie after a cruise discovered that they traveled well together so they immediately started planning this trip.

They flew to San Jose from Houston, yes I had to take them to the airport *snicker*. Once they arrived they were headed out to Tortuga to stay in a bed and breakfast for a few days before heading back to the Pacific side of the island. They had fishing trips planned and lots of exploration excursions.

As they left Tortuga they had chosen the take a long scenic boat ride and then a local bus ride back to civilization. Well they were in the middle of nowhere when an armed man with a shotgun stepped in the middle of the road. As the bus stopped 3 or 4 more appeared from the bushes. They were shooting and yelling in Spanish and since over half of the bus were tourists there was obviously mass panic.

They started going through the bus and taking all the money from the passengers. My Dad only had a dollar in his fanny pack at the time because before they left for Tortuga he was unsuccessfully pick pocketed. So being the sassy pants my Dad is he only put a dollar in there for the rest of the trip. When he opened his fanny pack and gave the man the dollar, the unamused bandit hit my Dad on the head with his pistol and searched him to find the rest of the money. He proceeded to take the cash, but handed my Dad back his credit cards. Marie did not have any money on her only coins and was able to convey to the bandits that her money was in the luggage.

The bandits then slashed up all the luggage and rummaged through it. They took all the cash that people had, they also took random credit cards and passports as well as destroying things by cutting up the luggage. Marie's passport was one that was taken.

Once it was over my Dad said the poor shaken bus driver drove as fast as he could on the awful roads to get to a phone. Then everyone had to wait for hours to file statements and get documentation of what was taken. Evidently the translator they had was not very good at their job either. So they were stuck in Costa Rica in their version of the FBI's office and got to leave with pretty much a "sucks for you" answer to the event. Marie had to pay 100 dollars to get a temporary passport since hers was stolen.

Once back in San Jose they debated on coming on home early and I am amazed that they did not. Dad and Marie said that the worst thing the bandits took from them was their happiness and independence. For the rest of the time they were shaken and pretty much to scared to finish out all the plans they had for the trip.

So when you get caught up in an "I" day or when unexpected speed bumps come along. Take that time to count your blessings!

3 comments:

  1. That is horrible. You're right we should count our blessings.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I" is important, along with counting your blessings, for sure!

    ReplyDelete