Thursday, August 6, 2009

Conversations with Maddy

It is fascinating to watch the way her mind works and it can make for some very interesting conversations. We have had more of them lately and I would like to think that it is due to my work at home with her. She has had a lot of social interaction lately in many different situations so I am sure that it what has triggered this new found curiousity with the world.


Maddy: I wonder if I should learn how to drive

Mark: Well, if you think you want to try let us know

Maddy: Driving seems kinda hard. What are those pedals you push?

Mark: There is one for the gas and one to stop the car

Maddy: It is awful dark down there how do you know where they are?

Mark: It is something you just learn

Me: The pedals are shaped differently so you know which is which

Maddy: Seems like you would get tired moving your feet back and forth so much

Mark: You don't use both feet, you just use one and you keep your heel in place and just kinda pivot your foot between the pedals

Maddy: I am not sure if I want to learn how to drive, who would teach me?

Mark: There are people who teach you how to drive

Maddy: Hmm..so someone can teach me how to drive and then I can just drive?

Mark: Well, no it is not that simple

Maddy: But you just said that all I needed was someone to teach me to drive

Mark: That is true but there is more to it than just that

Maddy: Like what?

Mark: Well you have to learn how to drive and then you have to go and have your vision tested

Maddy: What?

Mark: They have you read an eye chart on the wall, they need to know that you can see well enough to drive

Maddy: Hmmm..I am not so sure about that part

Me: In addition, you will have to take a test

Maddy: A test, about what?

Me: You have to know the driving rules

Mark: Yep there are a lot of things you need to know.

Maddy: That would be easy!

Me: Really?

Maddy: Sure I know what almost everything on the car does! What does this do, well it is the radio, you listen to music with it. What is that? That is a horn and this is an airbag.

We tried to explain what type of questions they would really ask, but she was too busy making sure she knew what everything in the car did and why.

2 comments: