Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Things I miss

As I go throughout my days be it at home or out and about running errands there are things I do truly miss. I am guilty of some of these things as well, but I am aware of my faults and strive to improve them. I might not be perfect, but I do work to be "pretty darn good" by the end of the day.


Pride

Pride is headed for extinction. I mean the working hard, being part of something and a common goal. I drive around town and I see trash on the ground and in the streets. How hard is it to place something in a trash can? People only seem to associate themselves with groups that they can not truly be a part of or make an impact with. Appearance (I am guilty of this one) we have an extremely large (no pun intended) obese population. Have we really become so lazy we won't take a walk in the evening?

Common Courtesy

This one is probably what I miss the most on a daily basis. Everyone is so wrapped up in themselves that they feel that common courtesy is for them only. When is the last time you saw someone helping an elderly person with anything? What about traffic laws and showing kindness to others ( I am bad about this one, but working on it), will it really hurt to let that person in or over into our lane? Using words, like "you first", "please", "thank you", "let me get that for you". When did it become all about the poor downtrodden victim instead of those who help themselves and others?

Productivity

We have seen such great advances in technology and at the same time we have made huge steps backwards in productivity. All that time that is saved by technology is being wasted by having technology entertain us. ( I am VERY guilty of this and I am working hard to correct it). When is the last time you wrote a letter to someone or got a card in the actual mail? For that matter when was the last time you took the time to send a nice long e-mail to a friend? Our world has been shortened to 140 characters. Instead of watching tv or killing time on the internet how about visiting with a neighbor, or meeting your neighbors? Clean out that closet and donate what you don't need. Since I have become aware of the time that I lose due to technology I am becoming more productive by the day! (Don't worry I still have time to post to my blog!)

Anyway..I do need to get back to cleaning and organizing. Stop reading my blog and go be productive!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post! The thing I miss most is "accountability". If you mess up, be brave enough to step up and take the blame for messing up. Then learn from it and go forward. Quit blaming your parents, your teachers, society as a whole, and get your butt into gear. If you choose to be different, you can't help but make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former teacher, I got to see a whole lot of "it is not my fault" going on. While I was out today running errands (see I am productive!!) I thought about how I miss customer service as well. I suppose that kind of goes along with pride and common courtesy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang you and TGD are gonna haveta get a room!
    hehe

    I agree of course, and also with TGD on accountability.

    Those virtues you mentioned are missing from society today with our "me" mentality. Me and Now are the tw main things wrong with this country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my productivity went way down when I started blogging...hahaha...well, except for my blogging skills!

    ReplyDelete