Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pawn shopping

I got a call a couple of weeks ago from my Mom. She was all excited to tell me that she was doing something she had never done before. She went to a pawn shop to shop! She was amazed at what items were in a pawn shop. Living in a small country town she was most impressed with the chainsaw collection available.

She called me on the way to her second pawn shop as she discovered that she could get jewelry from the pawn shop. The way I feel about purses is how my Mother feels about jewelry. You can never have enough! I mentioned that there were a couple of pawn shops near my house and then next thing I know her and her friend were headed to me so we could all pawn shop.

We were in a shop not far from my house and Mom found a ring that she really liked. She had already bought one ring and she was not sure if she wanted to spend the money on another one.

*whispering*

Friend: You know you can offer them less money right?

Mom: What?? Why did you not tell me that at the first shop, I could have saved some money!

Friend: I was just getting warmed up on my shopping, I forgot.

Pawnshopguy: Hello Ladies, can I show something to you?

Mom: Yeah, I guess let me see this ring.

Pawnshopguy: Very nice ring, it is 179.00

Mom: Did you know this is my first time to shop in a pawn shop? I have never done this before, I am so impressed with your jewelry selection! (work it Mom, work it)

Pawnshopguy: Well then, let me talk to my manager and see if we can get you a better deal on this then.

Mom: *snickers* This is fun!

Pawnshopguy: Ok we can let you have this for 129.00

Mom: Hmmm..

*Mom looks at ring and there is a long awkward silence*

Pawnshopguy: *leans in and whispers* You know you can counter offer right?

Mom: *looking sly* I will give you a 100.00 bill for the ring

Pawnshopguy: *winks* Let me check with my manager

Mom: *looks addicted to pawn shopping now*

Pawnshopguy: We have a deal. What name would you like to appear on the reciept?

Mom: *gives her name*

Me: MOM!!!! You could have been anyone you wanted!!

I anticipate that there will be more pawn shop stories appearing on my blog!

1 comment:

  1. You do realize that the pawny-man was aiming to get $100 from the git-go, don't you?

    Is your Mom aware 'As The World Turns' is no longer turning?

    ReplyDelete