Friday, March 12, 2010

Would you save a life if you could?

The hubby a friend and I were watching an episode of Nip/Tuck the other night. We are watching all the seasons on DVD so this is not the current season. In the episode one of the characters needed a kidney. The question came up would you donate your kidney to someone? Both the boys kinda hesitated and had certain scenarios in which they would. I just said yes I would no problem.

This conversation got me thinking. Would I really give a kidney that I might need later to someone I don't know? I would like to think so, but that is a scary step to take. Would I give a kidney to someone I know, heck ya. Why the difference in hesitation? Is it because I have a connection to that person? Is is because I want to know how my internal organ is being treated? Is it the fear of the procedure or that I don't have the option to say in a few years just kidding I want it back?

A few days after that episode I saw on a local TV show about two people who are survivors because of bone marrow donations. The procedure to donate is fairly non invasive and the need is huge for bone marrow donors. To be placed on the registry is very easy as well. You go to the website, request a kit, give a donation if you want and then you cotton swab your cheeks and send it back to them postage paid.

I can be on the list until I am 60 so that gives me a good number of years to try to save someone's life. I encourage everyone to take the step I did and check out Be the Match.


4 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could do it, I hate to give up a pint of my blood, although I've heard that it is healthy to do that.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go check it out. I am an organ donor, this is just an extension of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the marrow donor list for almost 20 years...haven't been called yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving someone an extension on life is the most honorable thing you can do in this life. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete