Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How to give small town directions

The idea for this blog came to me last night after speaking with my father. My family is working out the finer details for the family reunion this year and a location had been decided on. During the conversation my father decided to give me directions to the new location and his directions were exactly how anyone who grew up in small town would give them.

If you want to crash our family reunion, here are the directions he gave me. Go on the road headed towards the castle, keep on that road until you get to where I showed you Aunt Jenny's old house. Now there is not much left to that house, but by where her house used to be, turn on that road and just go a little bit further.

When I was growing up we gave directions by town landmarks, even if the landmark was no longer there. If you were not from the town we were not much help because well you should know where cemetery hill was.

These are the landmarks I would still use if I had to give directions in my home town today and I bet few of them are still around.

Big Star, Cemetery Hill, Dairy Queen, the Walker's house (now this is the loop), city pool and the park.

1 comment:

  1. Small towns are still the nicest places to live in.

    ReplyDelete