Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some days it just does not work

The day started out great! Good moods all around and very productive, we even went to the gym. After we got home Maddy took a shower and then we headed to the table to do our bookwork. Typically we do our bookwork first thing and then do whatever we have left for the day. I am sure if the change in routine is what caused the brick wall or not.

We were on our second book which is Life Skills for Special Needs Children by Darlene Mannix. It is a great book, great pictures and we always have a great time working in the book.

Today the topic was keeping your floor clean. There was a list of 5 items and you had to decide if it would be used to vacuum, mop or sweep. It was set up with a line next to the item and you would either put a 1 if the item was used to vacuum, a 2 if it was used to mop or a 3 if you used it for sweeping.

I read the instructions and away we go. The items were bucket, broom, vacuum cleaner, mop and dustpan. I ask Maddy which item would you vacuum with? She easily declares vacuum cleaner and places a 1 on the line beside the item.

Next I asked what would she need to mop and she quickly says mop and places a 2 next to the picture of the mop. I ask what else would you need to mop? She says bucket and I ask what number do you need use for mopping.

This is where I curse the public school system. It made no sense to her that you could have the number 2 listed in two places. She first said 3 and when I explained that 3 meant sweeping she became more confused. Since she had used 1,2 and I ruled out 3 she went straight to the number 4. I explained that 4 was not an option and went over the directions again.

She knew that a bucket was for mopping but she continued to throw out random numbers because she had already used the number 2. I explained the directions several times to her and we both were slowly getting more and more frustrated.

We managed to make it out of the lesson alive, but quickly broke for lunch after wards. I have learned that when it does not work, don't push it. It is much better to take a break and try again later.

4 comments:

  1. Routine helps me a lot. I get off kilter when I don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly like the proverb about beating a dead horse and expecting it to stand up and run.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today am not sure which one of us was the dead horse!

    ReplyDelete