Friday, September 18, 2009

Peeking

I have a friend who is about to have her first baby. They decided that they wanted the sex of the baby to be a surprise. This has thrown Maddy into a frenzy. When I told Maddy my friend was having a baby, she asked the question everyone does. Is it a boy or a girl? When I told her that I did not know, I had to explain that yes, I did understand the difference between a boy and girl. After we got that all cleared up I explained that they wanted the sex of the baby to be a surprise.


When it was time to go buy a gift for the baby, Maddy was most perplexed as to what we could buy that would not damage the baby's ego and self esteem. "Mom, we can't buy anything with pink in it!! It could be a boy!" We finally decided on a nice neutral piece of clothing for the baby.

During lunch where we gave my friend the present Maddy asked a lot of questions regarding why the did not want to know. My friend said they wanted it to be a surprise so they did not "peek" at the baby.

On the way home Maddy asked me if we "peeked" at her. When I said yes, you would have thought I had just gone through her room and shown all my friends anything that might embarrass her. She could not believe that the hubby and I could do something like that to her! After she regained some of her composure she wanted to know why we "peeked". I explained that we wanted to know so that we could decorate appropriately and have the right kind of baby clothes waiting for her. She decided this was a good point and forgave us for invading her fetal privacy.

2 comments:

  1. When I started reading this and saw that you hyperlinked "baby," I laughed out loud. Oh the myriad of possibilities of that link!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy that the only thing that calmed her down was the fact that you could get the right kind of clothes and decorations for her room! As if in all that time of bathing her and changing diapers you wouldn't be peeking!

    We are looking forward to calling you guys and telling you what peeking may have revealed!

    ReplyDelete