Thursday, July 2, 2009

Doing the Right thing..a little late

I try to do the right things in life. Like everyone I slip up from time to time. I also worry a lot, so this can be a dangerous combination. Over the past few years and the last year especially I have learned to relax on the worrying and do a whole lot more enjoying. Things that need to get done get done and the other things move up on the list and will get done.

Having lunch with friends or doing something with Maddy is much more rewarding than going through that closet or shelf again. I need to do the closets and shelves, but they don't have to be at the top of the list. However this holiday weekend I do intend to get some cleaning done!

Back to the story at hand. When Maddy is at speech I usually run to Target and get the few random things that have been missed during shopping. I enjoy browsing and seeing things I think I might need one day. About 2 months ago while at Target I purchased several items. When I arrived at my car I noticed a pair of sunglasses in the back corner of the cart that I did not pay for. It was hot, I had spent more time in Target than I intended and I just really, really, really did not want to go back inside to deal with it.

It was truly unintentional shoplifting so I decided that when I returned in two weeks I would pay for the glasses. Well two weeks turned into 2 months as I never was able to get back to that Target. (Maddy has speech therapy about 35 mins from our house.) Yesterday I finally got back to Target. I walked in, found the same glasses and went to customer service and paid for them. The lady was very nice, very surprised and seemed genuinely happy that I paid for the glasses. She thanked me several times for my honesty.

Sometimes in life it is the little things that make you happy and feel good about yourself. Yesterday paying for those silly sunglasses was one of those moments for me.

1 comment:

  1. Doing the right thing should feel good!
    That was the right thing to do for sure.

    ReplyDelete