Friday, May 22, 2009

Life Lessons

The what is your favorite question story reminded me of another exchange between the two of them from a long time ago. Thankfully I still had the story saved on my computer for everyone to enjoy!

Maddy had a new boyfriend at school, Brandon. On the way home from eating dinner, after about the third time she mentioned Brandon, Mark decided to try to provide Maddy with a "life lesson". Mark asked Maddy if she knew what "less is more" meant. Now Maddy tends be literal like some of us and basically told Mark that was just silly.

So Mark, showing infinite patience says that when it comes to boys that less is more, that she should not be smothering him and monopolizing his time. To this Maddy asks why would she smother some one she liked, especially "Brandon".

I am already beside myself and trying desperately to maintain my composure in the car. Mark sighs and "god love him" tries again. Brave man that he is tries another approach. He says Maddy you know how when you put on perfume you only want to use just a little bit, that is what I mean by less is more.

Maddy beams a smile and says (completely serious, mind you) Oh I get it I need to wear perfume for Brandon! At this point I am crying I am laughing so hard and Mark is considering jumping out of the moving vehicle he is attempting to drive. But yet the brave soldier marches on. NO! he says, when you put on perfume you only want to put on a little bit because if you you put on too much you will stink. Less is more means the people get a small whiff of the perfume and it is pleasant, but not overbearing. This is what I mean about Brandon. Mark looks at me with the "I think she may have gotten in look" and then Maddy pipes in with well of course I don't want to stink why would I put on too much perfume. At this point the defeated Dad, gives up and mumbles never mind, while I am still trying to contain my hysterical laughter. Ahh..but the story continues!

The next morning after Maddy is dressed and ready for school, she gasps and announces that she will be right back. A few minutes later she is down stairs with a bottle of perfume wanting Mark to put on "just the right" amount.

Yeah...you can't make stuff like this up! Typical life at the Davidson's....

No comments:

Post a Comment