Friday, March 20, 2009

Time

Time is a funny thing. We all seem to either have too much of it or not enough. One thing is for certain and that is we all just get a limited amount of it. Over the past 6 months I have had to learn how to deal with time in a new way and I think I am better for it.

When the decision was made for me to stay and home and home school the kiddo I had all of these "June Cleaver" type daydreams of a clean house, fresh baked cookies, and a nice dinner on the table every night. I soon learned that my day dreams would be just that "dreams". The house is basically clean, we all eat, and once in a while cookies are made.

The hubby and I both consider ourselves very efficient and productive people. We can typically do things in about half the time of anyone else we know. One of the first things I had to learn was that the kiddo moves at her speed and trying to shift her into another gear is counter productive and frustrating for both of us. It no longer bothers me that when she gets out of bed in the morning it will take her 30-45 min to put on clothes and brush her teeth. She has taught me to slow down a bit in life.

Over the course of the past few months I have learned to look at what needs to be done, what should be done and what could be done each day. I found myself spending more time doing the what could be done and a little less of what should be done.

Things like playing with and training the dog, taking him to the park and going for long walks. Going to lunch with friends and family during the day. Sitting on the couch and watching a TV show and talking about it with her. Spending hours and hours "just losing" a video game to watch her laugh and knowing that she is working on visual and fine motor skills. Doing crafts on Fridays or making the monthly newsletter. Going to the gym to work out and provide her with good exercise habits.

Once I let the guilt of not having a perfect looking house and three course meal on the table I have found more joy in the past few months than I could have ever imagined. Often I am sending pictures to the husband of random things that we are doing to share our day with him.

I have learned a little bit more to live in the moment. Time has become more of a friend than a stopwatch. I look forward to many more adventures by spending time on what we can do!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful concept of letting your time work for you...I think even as a "working" person you imagine the wonderful things you can get done on the weekend...then life happens...in 30 years I don't think I will regret hanging out with friends...but I might regret not hanging out with them to do laundry...I think you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete