Friday, September 30, 2011

Spider

When Maddy and I do school work I do my best to keep it fresh and somewhat fun.  Her learning ability is pretty much capped out, but we still do a lot of reviews and new concepts do sneak in once in a while.  To start this school year out I decided to try a word game with her.  I had a deck of scrabble cards which was basically scrabble tiles on cards.

I picked out 10 cards with a nice mix of vowels and consonants. I explained that I would set the timer for 5 minutes and she was to make as many words as she could.  She would write them on a piece of paper so she could use the cards more than once.  As I am explaining this to her she wanted to know if she could have a few more cards.  I told her that she could have 5 more, but she had to pick then.  She asked for an S, and I, and  a P.  I thought the S was a great choice the P confused me.

Once she had all the tiles lined out on the table I put the time on the timer and went in the other room to do some work.  I passed through once and saw the word spider on her list.  I thought WOW!  Later that day when on the phone with the husband I told him about how well she did, she thought it was fun and how impressed I was that she spelled spider.

That night at dinner I told Maddy that I was so impressed with her word spider that I had told Mark all about it.  She looks at Mark, and just cracks up laughing.  Through the laughter I hear her tell Mark that she had cheated!

When she was doing this exercise there was a Spiderman cup on the table and that is what she used to spell spider.  She was smart enough to not spell Spiderman because I would have caught on to what she had done.

After almost 18 years, that kid can still bamboozle me!

No comments:

Post a Comment