Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Split Second

Everything can change in just a second.  That is what has happened recently.  The week that Maddy went off to camp it was going to be Hubby time and then "me" time.  Maddy went to camp, had an amazing time and I will share that soon.  Instead of what I had planned I spent the time tending to my Mother.

The day Maddy left for camp Mom fell in the shower a split second and a hard fall later she had a burst fracture of her L1 vertebra.  Her doctor was out of town so she went to an Urgent Care place and got some meds.  The two days that were supposed to be mine were spent at her house trying to make sure she was ok.  When I was there she seemed on the mend so I went back home.  (We live just over an hour from each other.)

The day we picked Maddy up from camp we had been home a couple of hours and things had gone from bad to worse.  I had to leave and go pick Mom up and bring her home.  We got her all settled here and then it became obvious that she needed to be in the hospital.  It is then we learned about the vertebra.  After spending 36 of first 48 hours at the hospital I was finally able to begin to go home for longer periods of time.

She is now in a back brace that she will wear more hours than not and for several months.  This week we believe she will move from the hospital to a Rehab facility in her home town.  After that we hope that she can be back in her house for the rest of the recovery.

We are thankful that things are not worse and that she will heal and recover from this accident.  Once things get back to a more routine schedule I will get back to my typical Maddy stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment