Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Standardized Testing

I do not agree with the way the Texas school system chooses to test special needs children. They are trying to force squares into round holes. They have lost the flexibility or desire to adapt testing to get the best results and knowledge assessment from these kids.

Since Maddy is home schooled we are not bound to the Texas school system requirements. Most children in our state have been taking the TAKS exam this week. In some cases this will determine if a Diploma is awarded. We know 100% that if Maddy had stayed in the public school system she would not have received a Diploma. She would have received a Certificate of Completion. Since she would not be able to pass the TAKS exam and could not take certain classes she would not qualify for a Diploma. She will not need a Diploma and I can easily print up a Home School Diploma that will mean more to her than a school issued piece of paper.

Having said all of that, there is a need to know where she is academically and what areas I can improve on. I know that with the business and shifting the focus to life skills, the academics have take a back seat. I am going to work on getting academics back into our daily routine. We don't know how much more academically she can advance, but the need is still there to review and reinforce the concepts she has.

This week I have printed out the 3rd grade Math and the 5th grade reading released TAKS exam for Maddy. I am being a bit ambitious with the 5th grade reading, but I think she can handle it.

I am not really looking for the "correct" answer in all cases. With the Math exam I am looking at her thought process. Why did she choose the answer and does it make sense. She got 18/38 correct but many that she missed had logical answers. Some of the questions were on concepts we have never covered and she made good guesses that showed she attempted to reason out the answer.

Before we review the results I will go back and give her partial credit for these attempts. I feel this will be a better representation of her skill set.

1 comment:

  1. Simply stated, from an educator's point of view - I hate standardized testing!

    ReplyDelete