Sunday, February 28, 2010

What are you doing with your time?

Forgive me, I have been a bit reflective these past few weeks. I guess since the weather is not conducive for outside spring cleaning I am doing a bit of spring cleaning of the soul.

Three years ago I would have been counting down the days to Spring Break and then to the end of the school year. I worked, took care of what Maddy needed and then basically did nothing. That "nothing" was my time and I was very protective of it. I wanted to do nothing and sadly that is how I spent that time. My wants not my needs controlled my time management.

Now my life is considerably different and significantly better. I stay at home with Maddy full time and take care of her education, provide her with an appropriate social life, run the house, make sure the hubby has what he needs for his jobs, enjoy the dog, spend time with friends, etc. Each day is filled with so many opportunities I have shifted and now I manage my time and decide how my day will be spent.

The same opportunities were there three years ago, but I was so trapped in myself and "my time" that I could not or would not spend my time that way. I am a happier and healthier person than I was three years ago.

Even though I am busier than I was back in my working days, I continue to find ways to volunteer for church and Special Olympics. This year I have already spent more time with friends in two months than I did that last year of my working. I exercise at least 5 days a week.

We all have reasons or excuses for not doing things we should and we all need downtime, but if you take some of "your" time and give it to others it will be so much more rewarding. Take and hour or two a week and spend it with a friend in need, volunteer in the community or just take care of yourself by exercising. Time spend this way will leave you much more satisfied than if you had just vegged on the couch or in front of the computer.

I continue to look at my day and how I will spend my time and hopefully I can continue to improve my life and the life of those around me. Hopefully you will do the same and share your experiences with me.

5 comments:

  1. Last night I heard Dr. Maya Angelou speak in person. The message of the night was to be a rainbow in someone's cloud. I think your rainbow doesn't take days off Mrs. Davidson. She also said that someone has already paid for us to get where we are... so now we have to find someone else to pay for so they can get even further. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. regarding your note, yup, the Shred is tough, but the two months I spent on the Wii getting ready has made it so much easier. Try going back to it, you might be surprised. I am really not nearly as sore as I thought I would be. I am so committed to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. Finding all life has to offer in every single minute of the day is what it is all about. God gave for us, now it is are charge to give to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog. I will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete