Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Friendship

I have been thinking about friendships a lot lately and how they change over the years. What qualifies as a friendship? When does an acquaintance become a friend and why do friends fade out of your life?

Is friendship like a garden that needs constant care and attention? I don't think so, but there is definite work in keep a friendship active. More recently I have seen the relationships I have with friends change due to changes in their personal lives. I have recently become more distant with one friend and an old friend has come back into my life.

The hubby and I are the sanctuary for our friends. We are a place to come for a meal, an evening or to live with us if they need. Some of these people are in our lives for most of the time and others we only hear from when they are in need. Are some friends better than others? I don't think so...

Can you be friends with people you have never met? I used to think this could be, but have recently changed my view on this. With the internet you can now communicate and become a blip in peoples lives, but I don't think that qualifies for true friendship. I think the face to face is important to grow and nurture the relationship.

What about the person you might only see once or twice a year, but you know you could call on them for anything. Are they less of a friend than the person you see every week/month? I don't think so, but which relationship is stronger?

There seem to be more questions than answers for me when it comes to friendship. I have decided that friendship lives in the heart. As things change in our lives the world finds a way to put the right people at the front of the heart when they need you or you need them the most.

3 comments:

  1. You said this so very well!

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,

    This resonated with me. Really. And you know why. Because you are my friend. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm I never really thought about it, I'd think friends would pretty much always be friends though and easy, I don't think you'd have to do much work for a friendship.

    Good post, thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete