Friday, January 8, 2010

Clean start to the year

*Warning this post will most likely be considered TMI*


I started the new year with a colonoscopy, I know you are jealous right? I was all set to tell about seeing that green apple jolly rancher I swallowed in Jr. High, but it was really a non-event for me. None of it was awful at all.

The day before started with a liquid diet. Here is where the Dr. and I disagree. I think of a liquid diet as beer, margaritas and martinis. The way I saw it was if you are gonna be miserable in the evening may as well live it up in the morning. His idea was chicken broth and jello. Being a good patient I went with his diet. I was mostly hungry because I knew I was not allowed to eat.

At four I was to begin drinking Moviprep. Moviprep is a cool name, like you are getting ready for a red carpet premier. Trust me you don't want to go to the movies after a little Moviprep. The internet is a fascinating place, I was able to read entry after entry about people handled Moviprep and the best way to drink it.

I mixed it up early in the morning and at four I got my glass, my straw and a variety of things I had been told I could mix in to help with the taste. The first taste was not awful. Basically it tasted like drinking liquid lemon pledge with a dash of salt. I was to drink one liter at four and another liter at seven.

For me it worked out that about the time I was unchained from the bathroom I had to drink again. That last glass of Moviprep was a battle of the wills between me and the demon liquid pledge I was subjecting my body to. I won out, however I am not quite sure what I won. In theory I was a lucky one as I was able to go to bed around 10 and sleep through the night.

Originally I was to be at the surgery center at 6:30 in the morning and I had planned to be home by 10ish. I was called the day before and was asked it I could go in at 9 since the Dr. had a family emergency. I agreed, but then was a nervous as the Dr. would be distracted while perusing around my colon.

I arrived at 9 with the hubby there to drive me home and listen to what the results were. After waiting in the lobby for about an hour I was finally called back to be prepped. They had me do the pee in a cup for a pregnancy test and wanted to know why my blood pressure was a bit high. Well lets see, I am hungry, I waited for an hour before being called, I have a distracted Dr. and I am cold.

I am then wheeled into a room with all sorts of machines and random noises. The Dr. comes in and asks if I have any questions and then I am given a lovely shot of.....and then I wake up in the recovery area.

Everything looked good and I shouldn't have to do this again for 10 years. Hopefully medical advances will be such that I won't have anything to post about then!

2 comments:

  1. That lovely shot of...is WONDERFUL! I had this done in January 2008. If I ever have to do it again, I'll take the moviprep earlier so I'm not up 'til midnight chained to the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one a year ago, it took me 3 hours to dring that stuff. Will never forget it! What a boring and awful time.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete