Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Take a deep breath

One of Maddy's issues is processing situations and problem solving. We take for granted that we and those around us know what to do when things happen. For Madeline this is a learned behavior and that means lots of drama/trauma when there does not need to be.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about.

Maddy was taking a shower and she was supposed to call me when she was ready for me to dry and straighten her hair. I am doing random house things, I hear her get out of the shower and assume she is doing her after shower routine.

A few minutes later I hear her screaming for me. This is not a calling out my name, this is a fearful scream. Immediately I assume she is about to have a seizure, so I run to my bathroom full speed. As I round the corner, getting ready to deal with seizure I see Maddy holding a bottle of Diet Coke that is fizzy and spewing from the top.

She dropped her Diet Coke and instead of picking it up and leaving it in one place she panicked. All she knew what that Mom had to fix this. So she ran around in my bathroom and bedroom spreading Diet Coke all over the place.

I have to be careful when things like this happen because I need to teach her how to react appropriately. She was upset because she was scared and did not know what to do, so I have to be calm and assure her that I am not mad. Once I have her calm I can then explain what she should have done and then clean up the mess.

She did help mop the floor and now knows what to do when she drops her drink. Let's just hope she remembers.

2 comments:

  1. I'm over forty and a spewing Diet Coke would throw me for a loop too! It's amazing at the amount of drink that can spew out as opposed to what you can get out of the bottle by simply drinking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with that, when drinks spill they somehow become 3 times bigger than what could ever possibly fit in the can/bottle.

    ReplyDelete